Thursday, August 30, 2007

17 Week Check Up

We had our monthly doctor's appt. this morning. Tim had to work at 8, but finangled something and was able to come to the appt with me. We got to hear the heartbeat, it was loud and strong at 142bpm, the doctor talked about genetic testing for downs and cystic fibrosis, so I agreed and went over to the lab at SMC to get that done, Tim went back to work.

Well, let me tell you about this phlabotomist (mom, that is the person who draw's the blood)...this DUDE, asked me if it mattered which arm he used (now I have been getting bloodwork faithfully for the past 3 years, and I figured that since the vein on my right arm is the size of Texas he would just choose that one) well he decided to use the left arm, because I think all of his junk was on that side and it was easier for him. Well he puts the tournacet (the rubberband thing mom!) on extra tight, and feels for a vein with his finger...I knew by feeling that he didn't have a clue where it was but hey, he was just going to give it a whirl. So the infamous "little poke" turned into a grunt from me, then I actually started to cry, I thought the needle was coming out near my elbow, he fished around in my arm for that vein that he ever so greatfully had before he started and I finally said "jeeeezzzzz" and he said "am I hurting you" and I ever so friendly said "um....yeah" I proceeded to tell him that I bruise easy and that they usually use a butterfly on me (mom, a butterfly needle is a very small needle that they use on kids, they call it a butterfly because it's shaped like one!), so the dude is like, "well why didn't you tell me" and I so everly responded friendly I may add...."well, you looked like you knew what you were doing, but apparently not" so we watched blood gush out of my left arm, and bleed through a cotton ball. Once the bleeding finally stopped he looked at the other arm, and in amazment said "wow that's a big vein you got there" I looked up ever so politely and said "yeah, I know, if you miss that, I'm going to do this myself" He prepped my arm and VOILA! he got blood! and wished me luck and I left there. That guy was not my favorite person of the day!

Well, I have in my hands, an order to go get my level II ultrasound done, within the next 3-4 weeks, but I think I'm going to make it 2 weeks...shhhhh don't tell, I'm a little impatient and want to know that everything is going ok, especially the size of the baby. Tim is convinced that there is more than one, he has since the beginning, and I have since the beginning given him dirty looks about more than one child in this belly! Well, I have housework to do, another yet oh so lovely thing about owning a home, so enjoy this rainy, crappy, cloudy day!

xxoo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gabby
When I was bigger the a barrel for Tim and about to give birth, they rushed me to the x-ray dept. as the heard two heart beats. Well he turned out as you know to only be juat one baby who weight 8LBS 12OZ. That was like having a two year old for me, as I only weight 95LBS to start with. Any way you hang in there.
Oh yes, if you ever have your blood drawn again and have the same guy again, tell him you will have you future brother in law Jeff teach him how to do things right. As Jeff is a Phlabotomist. And a good one. I guess it is handy to have one in the family. Ha! Ha!
Thanks for the up dates on that Grand Child of mine.
Love, Bonnie

Kristi said...

Hi Gabe,
Congrats again on your little one. Are you feeling him flutter around at all yet? It is the most amazing thing...I so miss it!!! Home ownership...right there with ya and totally understand what you're saying. I am so glad you started a blog...now I get to keep up with how you are doing. Take care!
kristi